History of Rome Catholic School
The first Catholic School in Rome opened in 1850 in connection with St. Peter’s parish and was staffed by lay teachers. Three Franciscan sisters from Syracuse, New York, administered the school from 1862 to 1868. At the invitation of Father William Beecham, four sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary came from Montreal to continue the work of the Franciscans. In 1873, they opened a private academy for girls with its first high school graduate in 1878. It was accredited by the State of New York in 1895. The sisters continued to staff the parish school, graduating the first high school class in 1903. In 1906, shortly after Rev. Aloysius Murphy’s death, St. Peter’s school was renamed St. Aloysius Academy in his honor. From 1915 on, St. Aloysius Academy was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet while the private boarding and day school for girls continued at the Academy of the Holy Names.
In 1962 ground was broken for a new diocesan high school. The Reverend Robert P. Collins was appointed principal. He had designed its initial plans and laid its foundation when his tragic death occurred. Father’s death was a great loss to the Rome community.
In 1963, the Academy of the Holy Names and St. Aloysius Academy closed and Rome Catholic High School opened to serve the needs of students in the Rome area.
In 1974, St. Mary’s, St. Peter’s, and Transfiguration Elementary School were consolidated, and Rome Catholic Junior High School established, housed in the former St. Mary’s School. In 1986, the junior and senior high schools merged and Rome Catholic Junior-Senior High came into being. Its population drew from thirteen parishes and ten public school districts.
In 2003, Transfiguration School and St. Peter’s School merged and classes were held in the St. Peter’s School building. Then in 2004, St. Peter’s School was moved to Rome Catholic making this school a Pre-School through Grade 12 School, all together in one building.
June 2013 graduated the last class of Rome Catholic Junior-Senior High School making Rome Catholic School a Pre-School through Grade 6 School.
In September 2016, Rome Catholic School moved to the former St. Peter’s School on Floyd Avenue.
Rome Catholic School is dedicated to the quality education of preschool through sixth grade students of all faiths. Rome Catholic shares the joy of the Gospel daily, by educating the whole child, supporting families, and welcoming the community. We empower each child to grow academically, socially, physically, and spiritually. The Rome Catholic community follows Jesus, through a lifelong commitment to service and learning.